...the night before
The counseling exam can be a very stressful experience. Although you may be a very
competent psychotherapist intern, this experience is different. The surroundings
are unfamiliar. The format is inflexible, and the proctors will not express any
emotion or give you hints if you ask them a question about the exam. In addition
you may have waited up to six months for this day, paid thousands of dollars for
your degree, taken off time from work and, worst of all, will have to do this
again if you don't pass. Youmay be nervous; plan for it by provide a relaxing
setting for yourself.
- Ask your spouse or significant other to come along. Who would you rather
talk to the night before the examination- someone who is as stressed out as you,
or someone with whom you enjoy sharing your life?
- As soon as you learn your examination date, make a reservation to stay in a
hotel close to the exam site. You don't want the additional stress of being caught
in traffic in a strange town and trying to get to a site you have never been to
- When you get to the town where the exam will be given, find the site. Just
don't content to know it is at a University. FIND THE BUILDING WHERE THE
EXAM WILL BE GIVEN. Go inside the building if it is open to get a feel of
what you will be experiencing the next morning.
- Eat a light dinner early in the evening. Use the hours before bed to relax
- Get plenty of sleep, but don't worry if you can't sleep. You will be more than
awake during the 4 hour period you are taking the exam.
- Have an alarm of your own and request a wake-up call. Hey, it could happen!!
Rememer the Seinfield eposode with the runner?
- Order room service for the following morning. The breakfast shops will be
jammed and besides, you desire the best!!
- Have a clear plastic pouch with two forms of identification with picture ID,
your exam letter and any other documetation the is required by the exam ready to
go and always within your sight.
- Arrive around 30 minutes before the exam. And if you are left-handed, make
sure you are there before anybody else - there are only so many left-handed desks
and there seems to be an abundance of left-handed therapists!!
- That's it!! Do your best, follow the test tips and after the exam relax and
enjoy. E-mail me and let me know how you did - I'll be waiting with the lights
It's in there!!